In the beginning
Our centre’s history begins during World War II where the building of Fearn aerodrome, Nigg Camp and the rebuilding of North Sutor fort provided work for many able-bodied men who were beyond the call-up age, this was a welcome break.
The Canteen – mid-1940’s
A workmen’s hut was built between Balintore and Hilton to accommodate some of the non-local labour force. This was left intact after the drome had been built.
After the war, this canteen was used for a number of years in lieu of a proper hall for dances, whist drives and so on. It was demolished after the Seaboard Memorial Hall was built nearby and opened on 30th July 1958.
Old Seaboard Hall – 1958
Part of the money raised by dances, concerts and other functions was used by the Hall Committee to increase the amenities of the Seaboard, besides maintaining the hall itself.
For example, children’s playgrounds have been built at strategic points in Balintore & Hilton, a bowling green in front of the hall and a fine caravan site was made near Shandwick Bay which accommodated many caravans during the summer seasons.
Seaboard Memorial Hall- 2002
This new hall is multi-functional and can accommodate almost any type of function, from a game of badminton to a sit-down wedding meal for 120 people.
The hall committee is continually seeking new ideas and funding options to secure the future of the Seaboard Memorial Hall.
We remember through the history of this community centre the lives lost during the wars. This building is our memorial to them.